Many Acupuncturists now use cupping within their practice that work with patients as part of injury or surgical recovery treatment plans. Often cupping is used as part of a
holistic treatment for patients with chronic conditions such
as a back pain, fibromyalgia and even arthritis and osteoarthritis.
Cupping therapy benefits for patients with all types of pain and
muscle discomfort can include:
• Increased range of motion with stiff joints, muscles, ligaments and tendons throughout the body.
• Helps to alleviate lower back pain that is caused by prolonged sitting, standing or lifting exercises where alignment is not the issue.
• Reduce the need for the use of pain killers and anti-inflammatories that can have serious side effects for many people.
• Help to reduce or eliminate muscle cramping and spasms that may occur after an injury, surgery or during rehabilitation after prolong lack of use of the limb.
• Exercise, stretch and help to engage muscles that may not have been used and have atrophied. This can include after a break where the muscles of the injured limb have not been used for several weeks.
• Increase circulation in the skin as well as the muscle layers beneath. This can help to reduce swelling and also help to promote tissue growth on a cell level, often helping to reduce deep scar tissues and enhance joint movement.
• Act as a great stress reliever that allows the individual to relax without pain, which is an essential element in healing both from a psychological and physiological point of view.
• Assists in building the larger muscles of the back that can help with core stabilization and good posture, assisting in naturally keeping the spine aligned, and prevent common aches and pains associated with bad posture.
Using cupping therapy in conjunction with acupuncture treatments is well worth considering for many patients. Increased relaxation, better healing and better range of motion are just a few of the benefits you can expect.