What Are Migraine Headaches?
Migraines are a type of intense headache, especially those that are recurring and cause throbbing on one side of the head. In the past, experts believed that migraine headaches were different than tension headaches and had separate causes. However, today it's widely accepted that headaches actually fall on a continuum - with some people only experiencing mild pain occasionally and others having severe migraine symptoms often.
All Types of headaches are now believed to have similar underlying causes, including high levels of inflammation, increased stress and changes in neurotransmitter levels, such as serotonin. Migraines tend to peak during someone's 30s, become worse during stressful or transition periods of life, and run in families. Because most types of headaches are related, natural headache remedies like managing stress and improving your diet can help keep both mild and severe migraine symptoms at bay.
The most common migraine symptoms include:
- Intense or severe pounding pain on one or both sides of the head - most people have migraine pain on only side of the head at a time, which is a symptom that makes migraines different from tension or cluster headaches
- Nausea, loss of appetite or an upset stomach (sometimes even vomiting)
- Increased sensitivity to sound and light
- Disturbed or blurred vision, seeing flashing lights, or seeing unusual shapes and lines (especially while an attach is just starting)
- Dizziness and shakiness
- Numbness or weakness in the facial or neck muscles
- Increased thirst
- Inability to concentrate, speak normally or hold a conversation
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a holistic health technique that stems from Traditional Chinese Medicine practices in which trained practitioners stimulate specific points on the body by inserting thin needles into the skin. The first question most people ask is "Does acupuncture work?". Surprisingly, although needles are used in acupuncture treatment are relatively pain-free. In fact, one of the most popular uses of acupuncture is to reduce chronic pain throughout the body in a natural way, without the need for medications that can caused unwanted side effects.
Acupuncture originated in China about 2,500 years ago and is used to treat a wide variety of diseases, including headaches and migraines. Acupuncture seeks to balance the body's energy or Qi, by stimulating specific points on the body. It has been proven relied for chronic disease and pain.
In Amita Holistic Healing center doctor Tatyana Yakovleva treats migraines and other stress causing problems with acupuncture with her holistic approach to the issue. In our office we have a variety of treatments to help you heal your body and prevent a root cause of it.